Beyond Measure

Beyond Measure Travel Updates! Visit India's artists with me.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

India, sweet India

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for all your well wishes and love on my send off to India... it worked! I made it here(Delhi) safely and all has gone well. I spent my first two days recooperating,exploring the surrounding areas, and getting some translations made from English to Hindi for the artists to read. I spent day #3 recovering from a typical "stomach battle" initiation, that often happens in India. AND... yesterday afternoon went out on a search for local artists. I found a few and ended up communicating very well with a man named Sunil. He is in his thirties and has two children and lives in a village outside of Delhi. We (Shiva and I) showed him our translations describing our project and he was soo happy to help that he offered to do 2 paintings that very day, and flatly refused my attempts to pay him. He is a great artist and a wonderful man. He invited us back to his home for dinner where we met his family and all his extended family...all living in the same house or on the same street. The family members (including his parents, brothers, sisters, neices and nephews) all sat with us while we ate, although most did not know english. This was the first time Sunil had ever had a western visitor to his home, and he was very proud and happy. We had a great time!
Tomorrow we are heading towards Rajasthan and some other cities in the north. I will post pictures soon. Sending my love and gratitude to you all! Thanks for making this journey possible!
Jessica

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home